Friday, July 12, 2013

From the Empirical Archives: Cold Mountain by Wayne Lee

Cold Mountain
Wayne Lee
Originally published in the January 2013 issue of Empirical



Han-shan says after a moment of bliss,
This is better than where I live. I see
Cold Mountain disappearing into mist.
My life among these thousand-meter cliffs,
my days of hermitage and poverty
evanescing in a moment of bliss.
I look in the mirror and I see wisps
of white, like clouds among the leafless trees,
Cold Mountain disappears into mist.
This day and the years gone by are endless
ripples, like rivers flowing to the east –
Han-shan vanishing on moments of bliss.
I have no desire now to reminisce
about my profession or family
as Cold Mountain disappears into mist.
Some may ask, did Han-shan ever exist?
Yes, I did, but now I have been set free –
a puff of smoke in a moment of bliss,
Cold Mountain disappearing into mist . . . .



Be sure to visit the Empirical website to subscribe!

If you are a writer and are interested in writing for Empirical, check out this link to find out how to submit.

No comments:

Post a Comment