Thursday, August 29, 2013

From the Empirical Archives: Nights Such as These


Nights Such as These
Emily Grelle
Originally published in the February 2013 issue of Empirical


The wind in the eaves,
playing frisbee with my father
counting up, hands clapping
under the impact of the moment
in which the flying disc, like a UFO,
hit home, my plan— it
was to reach 100 without breaking
the count, the value
of which exceeded the thousands
of summer nights hence that I have dreamed
of returning to that season of unseason,
when all I had to offer was handed back to me
with equal fervor, and we were counting on each other
and my mother, on the porch unrivaled
in love, rooting for us like the grass, waving
in the breeze, with wishes full in the heads
of dandelions growing gray to plant our hopes
in fields where they’ll grow bright as suns
and even the blades are gentle enough
to ease the inevitable fall.



Be sure to visit the Empirical website to subscribe!

If you are a writer and are interested in writing for Empirical, check out this link to find out how to submit.


No comments:

Post a Comment